Oral Care Between Dental Visits
Most of us know that it is recommended that we brush our teeth at least twice per day, but how many of us know proper brushing technique? Brushing properly can make a huge difference when it comes to the health of both our teeth and our gums.
Your dentist in 85022 will agree that proper brushing and flossing are two of the most important things you can do when it comes to oral care between dental visits.
Brush Gently But for at Least Two Full Minutes
Very few adults come even close to brushing for a full 120 seconds. If you aren’t sure whether you do or not, get a stopwatch out and time yourself.
When brushing your teeth, make sure you are using a gentle touch; brushing too hard is tough on your gums as well as your teeth. Make sure you pay close attention to your gum line, as well as the hard-to-reach molars in the back of your mouth. Use short strokes to thoroughly clean each section of your mouth, including the fronts and backs of teeth. Place your brush at a 45-degree angle, sweeping the front, back, and top of each tooth surface with back-and-forth strokes. Be gentle and use a soft bristle toothbrush.
Floss At Least Once Per Day
The type of floss you use doesn’t matter. The important thing is that you floss thoroughly between all of your teeth at least twice each day.
There is technique involved with flossing, and to maximize the benefit you receive from flossing, you’ll want to make sure you are doing it properly.
- Starting with about 18 inches of dental floss.
- Take the floss in both of your hands and wind it around each middle finger, making sure you have an inch or two of floss with which to work.
- Hold the floss taut, sliding it up and down between your teeth.
- Curve the floss around the base of each of your teeth to ensure you hit below the gum line. Always be gentle when flossing around the gums.
- Grab a clean section of floss each time you move to a new tooth.
Dental Care in Phoenix
For more information on proper oral care between dental visits, call your dentist in 85022, Dental Care at Moon Valley!