5 Common Reasons for Tooth Extraction
The goal of dentistry is to provide preventive exams and cleanings to keep your smile healthy and restorative treatments if something goes wrong. It’s essential for your oral health to retain as much tooth structure for as long as possible, so extraction is not something we take lightly.
Before we recommend removing a tooth, we will exhaust every other option available. But in some cases, the only sensible treatment approach is extraction.
If extraction becomes necessary, you can be sure that we will explain why the procedure is required and how it will benefit your long-term oral health. We use state-of-the-art technology like digital x-rays so you can see for yourself why we recommend extraction. Dr. Chad Hines will answer all your questions and also discuss tooth replacement options
Reasons for Tooth Extractions
The most common reasons for extraction are severe decay or infection. But there are several other cases where tooth removal may be necessary:
- Dental trauma — A tooth that has broken or fractured below the gum line may need to be extracted.
- Alignment issues — Improper positioning, crowding, or alignment of a tooth can affect the alignment of surrounding teeth may require extraction.
- Orthodontic treatment — In some cases, young children need to have one or more teeth removed to improve tooth development and alignment in preparation for orthodontics.
- Preparation for dentures — If you are receiving full or partial dentures, it may be necessary to remove several of all of your teeth for the best outcome.
- Wisdom teeth – Wisdom teeth no longer serve any real purpose and often lead to oral health problems because they are so far back in your mouth and hard to clean. In many cases, we recommend removal of wisdom teeth to protect your overall oral health.
Please Call Us If You Have Questions
If you think you may need a tooth removed, please call Dental Care at Moon Valley. We have performed many comfortable extractions at our Phoenix, AZ dental office, and we can help you too!