After your tooth extraction procedure, your whole mouth may be sore, and the extraction area will likely be painful. Your dentist in Phoenix, AZ will likely prescribe you a painkiller for the first few days post-extraction to ease the pain. While your mouth regains sensation after anesthetic from the surgery, it's best to avoid eating as you risk biting your tongue and cheek.
For the first few days after the extraction, there are certain food types and actions you should avoid taking. Do not suck on anything, as the suction can cause the blood clot to dislodge. For the sake of a problem-free and healthy recovery:
- Avoid smoking to keep from sucking the clot loose. This will also reduce the risk of bacterial infection.
- Limit alcohol consumption to keep the blood from thinning and loosening the clot.
- Do not consume overly hot food, which can dislodge the clot.
- Avoid eating grains and seeds that can easily become lodged in the healing extraction site.
- Do not eat spicy foods. The oils can enter the healing wound and cause significant pain and inflammation.
Recommended Soft Foods After Oral Surgery
For the first three days after your oral surgery procedure, we generally recommend that you stick to soft foods. After this period, patients can usually go back to most of their regular eating habits while still avoiding extreme temperature, spicy, or crunchy food until the extraction site is fully healed. Some soft foods to consider while you heal:
- Mashed foods like mashed potatoes
- Soups, stocks, and broths that do not contain large pieces or chunks that require chewing
- Scrambled eggs
- Soft fruits like banana and avocado
- Smoothies, like fruit, smoothies that are free of seeds
Contact Our Dentist Office in Phoenix, AZ Today!
Dental Care at Moon Valley serves Phoenix, AZ, and its neighbors, providing services like routine dental cleanings, root canals, or tooth extractions. If you need a dentist and an ally in your quest for dental health, contact us today at (602) 843-6000 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Chad Hines, DDS. We are proud to serve every member of your family, kids, teens, and adults.